CEED Macedonia Business Angels ClubCEED Business Angels Club (CEED BA Club) was formed as a sub club from members of CEED Business and Learning Club Gold, in November 2013 and is one of the first clubs of this kind in Macedonia. Since January 2016, CEED Business Angels Club is officially a member of European Business Angel Network - EBAN.
Currently, 16 entrepreneurs are Club members who are willing to invest in business ideas or existing businesses, if they identify potential for growth or innovation.
The first business ideas were presented to the club members on April 2, 2014.
After three year of existence CEED Business Angels Club, made the first investment in December 2014, second one in May 2015. and the third one in June 2016. At this time being four potential ideas are reviewed.
How to become a member of CEED Business Angels Club?
- If you are a member of CEED Club Bronze or Silver and you receive a recommendation from a member of CEED BA Club, while other members of the BA Club have agreed with your joining, you are able to join the CEED BA Club by signing a statement.
- If you are an active member of CEED Club Golden or a sponsor of CEED Club, you are able to join the CEED BA Club, with signing a statement.
How does the CEED BA Club work?
- Regular monthly meetings between the members of the CEED BA Club
- Attending pitching sessions with entrepreneurs
- Meetings for analysis of potential investments
- Meetings with business angels from abroad
Educating the members of CEED BA Club:
As a newly formed Business angels club in Macedonia, members are involved in educational meetings in the area of “angel” investments with the purpose of improving and perfecting the process.
Up to now several training sessions were held with business angels David Beatty and Malcolm Johnston:
David Beatty – business angel from New York, USA, vice-president of ProSeeder technologies LTD and CEO of Golden Seeds. Mr. David Beatty has 20 years of experience as a business angel and active business investor and member of Golden Seeds. He is one of the founders and part of the management team of numerous successful profitable companies, including companies such as:
Malcolm Johnston – Business angel from United Kingdom, CEO and founder of Angello Foundation from UK. Malcolm was formerly CEO and then Chairman of Johnston Campbell Ltd. Malcolm has been in the investment industry for over 25 years, consulting with an investment management business in Singapore and establishing a pioneering investment project in Moldova. In parallel, Malcolm has also worked across Eastern Europe for over 17 years.
What does it mean to be a business angel (BA)?
Business angels are usually proven entrepreneurs, people who are long on managerial positions, owners of successful companies, and other parties who own capital that want to invest in businesses, which according to them can bring immediate refund and serious earnings. Business Angels sometimes finance ideas even when there is a risk of losing money.
But BA can also be business people who want to activate themselves with participation in the project in which they invest or as advisors to the management. The reasons for this kind of venture sometimes are psychological, which means that pensioners can to continue the active work and prove that they are still capable of successful business initiatives through this type of investments.
BA can be active entrepreneurs and managers who have additional funds, but also people who had business experience, who had ran a business or had been entrepreneurs in the past.
BA can invest in a profession, industry or a business area that is different from theirs.
They are enthusiastic and motivated not only by the desire for profit, but also by the desire to help another entrepreneur.
Business angels take risk, but also expect rapid growth and return on investment, as well as large profit.
Key features that entrepreneurs should have for presenting in front of the business angels:
- You should have an idea that is competitive and that cannot be easily copied by competitors. It is desirable to be designed for large market and includes an innovative solution to a problem in a better and faster way with lower costs.
- They should be entrepreneurs with a vision, a willingness for hard work, passion to change the world and to develop new product and of course it should bring results in the end.
- The first step in which the investor will evaluate the team is according to the way they have prepared the presentation, the business plan, as well as keeping updated documentation, which reflects the professionalism and knowledge in the business area they act.
- They should be familiar with “venture capital” and “angel” methods of investing.
Steps in the investing process:
- Review of applications by the CEED team
- Organizing pitching sessions and selecting candidates for further analysis
- Financial and legal analysis of the selected business ideas
- Organizing second pitching session
- Determining the conditions for further investments
- Negotiations between potential candidates for investment and the business angels.
Applying for presentation:
If you want to apply for a presentation to a potential investment in your business or business idea, please apply here. Registration is free. For more details contact us at:
Biljana Ramljak: firstname.lastname@example.org
Jovana Petkovska: email@example.com
* Pitching sessions are semi-closed, i.e. Entrepreneurs present their idea in front of the business angels and other interested entrepreneurs who also present their ideas.